LISTEN TO THIS THE AFRICANA VOICE ARTICLE NOW
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
|
Two Kenyan police officers deployed to Haiti in the Multinational Security Support (MSS) mission were last week seriously wounded in clashes with gangs. The officers, part of Kenya’s deployment, were injured during routine patrols in Port-au-Prince, a city now largely under the control of heavily armed criminal groups.
The MSS mission, which Kenya has led since June 2024, was intended to restore stability in Haiti and pave the way for elections by February 2026. However, instead of bringing order, the deployment has found itself increasingly overwhelmed by relentless gang attacks, logistical challenges, and growing concerns over equipment failures.
According to sources within the mission, one officer suffered a head injury when a bullet pierced his helmet, while another was hit in the ear after gunfire penetrated an armored vehicle. Both were evacuated to the Dominican Republic for emergency medical care.
While the MSS leadership has downplayed the severity of these incidents, frustration is mounting among the deployed officers. “These gangs are becoming more aggressive, and our gear isn’t keeping up,” one officer told reporters anonymously, citing fear of repercussions.
The mission’s challenges extend beyond the battlefield. In February, the MSS suffered its first fatality, and just last week, another Kenyan officer went missing. He is believed to be dead, according to colleagues. Meanwhile, morale among the troops is deteriorating, with many questioning the effectiveness of their protective equipment.
A growing number of officers have begun refusing to use some of the mission’s armored vehicles, following multiple incidents where bullets penetrated their defenses. Over the weekend, 20 such vehicles were grounded after officers expressed safety concerns.
Amid these mounting threats, President William Ruto Thursday, April , 2025, held a telephone conversation with United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres, seeking further support for the mission. A statement from State House confirmed that Guterres reaffirmed the UN’s commitment to the operation.
“I held a telephone conversation with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, during which we discussed the UN’s continued support for the Multinational Security Support Mission in Haiti. He acknowledged Kenya’s leadership role and commended our steadfast commitment to our shared goal of restoring stability in Haiti,” Ruto said.
Ruto also used the discussion to push for broader global support for regional peace efforts in Africa. He urged the UN to back joint initiatives by the East African Community (EAC) and the Southern African Development Community (SADC) to implement a roadmap for peace in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), where armed militias continue to destabilize the region.
LEAVE A COMMENT
You must be logged in to post a comment.